Monday, October 25, 2010

Communication - Father and his Teenage Daughter

Teen angst, selfish behaviour, cell phones, facebook, etc...enough to drive a parent crazy. Throw in the mix a Father who is trying to hang on to his ‘little’ girl, the one he used to carry on his shoulders, chase through the grocery store isles (laughing; as Mom and other observers shook their heads), the little girl he read to every night, went fishing with, baked cakes with, and cooked lobsters with. *sigh* He has to try to understand why she takes so long to straighten her hair (why does she do that he asks me) he has to understand why she sends a trillion text messages a month (ok a bit of an exaggeration) he tries to understand the importance and urgency in her voice when she talks about her friends (you know that voice), he tries not to totally lose it when she rolls her eyes and say’s ‘Oh WOW Dad' or ‘That’s not fair’ ‘I hate my life’  or ‘I’m the only one not allowed to do that’. He’s really learning how not to feed into her behaviour! He’s learning the art of negotiation; and is realizing it’s good to negotiate with his teen on certain things. He’s understands that if you offer a choice rather than a demand, it works! He’s learning the skill of communicating with his teen and realizes manipulation is not always on the forefront of his daughters mind. He’s getting that in her world, in her perception; these things (cell phones, skinny jeans, friends, facebook) really are important and he’s learning mutual respect with his teenager. An awful lot of tapping helps too! J
Even though I’m about to lose it because my teen is driving me crazy, I love and accept myself
Even though I’m pulling my hair out at her behaviour, I love and accept myself.
Even though I'm begining to feed into her behaviour, I choose not too!
Even though I let her get under my skin, I don't have to and I accept myself completely.
Even though she drives me crazy today, l know this too shall pass and I love myself completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment